Name Review Request

Psionyx

Byond Key: Psionyx

IC Name for Review: C.H.E.F. XL-NTSC

Race: IPC

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name? No

Reason/Backstory: C.H.E.F. XL-NTSC (pronounced as Chef Excellence) is a fine example of the corporate mindset: Get the highest performance for the lowest cost. Initially purpose-built to serve as a kitchen gadget-selling spokesman who didn't know squat about actual culinary design, after working for several years selling sub-par kitchen products C.H.E.F. XL-NTSC was replaced with a newer model and kicked out the gate with little fanfare. Given his name, it seemed only right to actually take the time to attend cooking school. Now he's a certified culinary artist who seeks to redeem his name from the bad old days.

(I am writing this review request after receiving a message during round 40414 from Baredolf expressing concerns that the name may violate conventions or server rules, specifically due to having an acronym that could be confused as a title. It's not my intention to confuse or mislead. My intention is to only play this character in the chef role, or as off-duty if the chef role is already filled. I've already played this character for some time, but this was the first indication I received that there was a concern. I hope that the name is acceptable, particularly given the IPC origin and my intentions for this character.)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry this has taken a while to get to, myself and the other heads had a discussion regarding the name since we've ruled in the past that titles aren't allowed in general to be in names of characters to avoid confusion and issues that might arise from a situation where someone is asking for the role and getting a person having the name of the role. While it makes sense for an IPC to have the name C.H.E.F. or say T.E.C.H. it can easily cause confusion to people if they playing multiple roles or are playing a single job and being a civilian. It's also rather too much as well to hold an IPC character to a single role only, and for those reasons we're going to stick with our current ruling that people's characters should not have a title or a job as part of their name to avoid such issues and confusion. If you have any other questions or comments related to this let us know so we can address them and clear up any confusion on the matter.

No worries, I understand your reasoning. It was a bit of a gimmicky character anyhow, so I can just enjoy the server with my other characters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use