Nian (nee-an) are a species of bipedal insectoids. Hailing from a fringe cluster in the Helmi stream, the Nian occupy vast swathes of space formerly considered uninhabited by most interstellar authorities.
- NIAN is an IPC derived acronym and the official recognised name for their species: Natural Insectoid Artisans of the Nebulae.
- They are also colloquially referred to as Ткачи (Tkachi) by members of the USSP.
- The Nian abide by either of these, but officially recognise neither: Nian contend that a species is recognised as something occupying a role rather than as a discrete category.
- While not a one-to-one translation, Nian typically understand themselves to be "We who Incarnate Stars into Tapestry."
Nian Naming Schemes
- Nian make use of naming schemes denoting an artistic or professional locus followed by an astral body important to one's community, parents, or destiny.
- Whilst Nian may derive their 'stellar' name from community/religious sources, their primary name is determined later in life.
Examples of names include: Poet in Service to Cygni-9b Arkwright Bound by Tau Ceti Tender of the Crab Nebulae Knight of Epsilon Eridani Weaver of Antares
The Tkachi Language
The Nian Homeworld
A Brief History File:Mothflag.png